Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Today my life changed forever








Today is the day my life changed forever. Today one day after the fast and the saddest day of the Jewish year i gave birth to a little girl that would change me and my family forever. Happy Birthday Nechama Roza today you were born. When Rozie was born i was told immediately within minutes that she had Down syndrome. I remember crying and then telling myself i wasn't allowed to cry anymore once i left the delivery room because i loved this little baby and she is a gift from Hashem no matter the package. When we went to our room after the delivery i immediately unwrapped her from the cocoon they put her in and i had to look at every part of her, i had to see what Down syndrome looked like. I remember holding my breath as i unwrapped the blankets and fearing what would be under there, all i found was perfection.Perfect little toes, fingers, round tiny little belly, beautiful hair, and big blue eyes that looked straight into my soul. I was in love, the Down syndrome title could go blank itself for all i cared, this was not Down syndrome this was perfection.
When Rozie went to the NICU and stayed at the hospital for a week we called her Nechama ( her first name) which means comfort. We thought she looked more like a Nechama than a Roza and we planned to call her this ( when i see her NICU nurses around town they still call her Nechama). When she came home she became Rozie. I think in the hospital and in that deer in the headlights time we were in we all just needed a bit of "comfort". Now it is one year later and i can't believe it. I am a new person i am no longer scared of Down syndrome and what it looks like. I love Down syndrome every bit of it, because it is what makes up my daughter and like any child you love every part of them the hard and easy parts. I wear Down syndrome like a badge of honor that says " Hashem has chosen me to raise such a beautiful Neshama such a pure beautiful soul" i love that badge i wear it everyday with every outfit.
This year has not been easy for our Rozie she has been in the hospital 3 times and has fought for her life after one of her procedures. She is here as a blessing and i plan to enjoy every minute with her. She is my little Nechama and she has made me a more accepting, and understanding parent and taught me what is really important in life. Mazel Tov my tiny one today you are one and you are loved by your Mommy and Tatty, brothers,family, friends , and our community with all our hearts. Happy Birthday sweet girl.

10 comments :

Sakeenah said...

happy 1st birthday!!
i can feel how much you love your daughter. she truly is a blessing and such a beautiful little one at that.

Maya said...

Happy Birthday little Rozie!

Becca said...

Happy birthday, beautiful girl!! A wonderful, touching post, Alisheva.

Devorah said...

Wow, that is so beautiful and so touching!

The love you have for your daughter is incredible and inspiring!

patricia said...

I LOVE reading your blog and learning about you and your family. Thanks for sharing.

Yo Mamma Mamma! said...

Lucky you, and lucky me! We are blessed!

Cole said...

Mazel Tov sweet Rozie- you are a wonder and a blessing!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday. I really enjoy your blog.
debbie

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!

Wonderful writing, you touched my soul.

Nehama

The Thirteenth Crossing said...

What a beautiful post! No matter the package they are a gift. I see nothing but perfection when I look at the gorgeous photos of your daughter. Happy birthday Rozie!